Re: Minimal conformance levels for dateTimes

From: Andrew Eisenberg <andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:30:52 -0500
To: "Ashok Malhotra" <ashokma@microsoft.com>
Cc: w3c-query-operators@w3.org, w3c-xml-schema-ig@w3.org, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I agree with the wording that you suggest, with the exception of the number
of digits of fractional seconds precision. During the meeting I suggested
several times that we choose a limit that matched that of SQL's TIMESTAMP
data type, which is 6 digits of fractional seconds precision. I thought
that this was agreed to, although I do not see it reflected in the minutes
of the meeting.

                              -- Andrew

Andrew Eisenberg
5 Technology Park Drive
Westford, MA  01886

Phone: 617-693-9703     Fax: 617-693-9990

                    "Ashok Malhotra"
                    <ashokma@microsoft.com>        To:     <w3c-xml-schema-ig@w3.org>, <w3c-query-operators@w3.org>
                    Sent by:                       cc:     <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
                    w3c-query-operators-requ       Subject:     Minimal conformance levels for dateTimes
                    12/09/2001 06:25 PM

The XML Query/XPath Functions and Operators task force decided in its
meeting on 12/5 to allow

conforming processors to support limited lexical representations for the
date and time types.

The minutes are at:

The precise wording that will be included in the document has not been
approved by the task force.

A suggested wording is below.

We believe it would aid inter-specification coordination if XML Schema
would add similar wording

as part of the errata.  The wording below is based on the wording XML
Schema adopted to allow

minimally conforming processors to support 18 digits in decimal

For a number of the above datatypes [XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes] extends
the basic [ISO 8601] lexical representations, such as YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.s
for dateTime, by allowing more than four digits to represent the year field
-- no maximum is specified -- and an unlimited number of digits for
fractional seconds.

For this specification, all minimally conforming processors must support
year values with a minimum of 4 digits (i.e., YYYY) and a minimum
fractional second precision of 100 nanoseconds or eight digits (i.e.
s.ssssssss). However, conforming processors may set larger
application-defined limits on the maximum number of digits they support in
these two situations, in which case those application-defined maximum
numbers must be clearly documented.

All the best, Ashok

Ashok Malhotra              <mailto: ashokma@microsoft.com>

Microsoft Corporation