Re: Minimal conformance levels for dateTimes

Ashok, et al,

I have no objection to the proposal to require a minimum of 8 fractional
digits in a conforming processor, but I would like to observe that not all
platforms (hardware and operating system combined) will be able to provide
*meaningful* values for the farther right of those digits.  (In other
words, not all clocks tick at intervals of 100 nanoseconds or less; some
clocks tick at the microsecond, or even millisecond, level.)  Therefore, we
must make it clear that a conforming processor must be tolerant of values
specified to 8 fractional digits of precision, but that they are not
required to *generate* such values with digits other than zeros on the
trailing end.  That means that a processor that generated a dateTime value
of 2002-01-01T12:15:22.12300000 every time it's invoked during the
millisecond in question would be conforming.

Thanks,
    Jim

At 03:25 PM 2001-12-09 -0800 Sunday, Ashok Malhotra wrote:
>For this specification, all minimally conforming processors must support
>year values with a minimum of 4 digits (i.e., YYYY) and a minimum
>fractional second precision of 100 nanoseconds or eight digits (i.e.
>s.ssssssss). However, conforming processors may set larger
>application-defined limits on the maximum number of digits they support in
>these two situations, in which case those application-defined maximum
>numbers must be clearly documented.

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@oracle.com
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063           Personal email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =