Re: Restricting substitution groups?

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:09:05 +0000
To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi Eric,

> Does that mean that we can restrict substitution groups?

Yes.

> The question should then probably be which is the order of the
> elements of a substitution group when they are mapped to a xs:choice
> during validation (and how can this be used to restrict a
> substitution group) ?

I can't see anything the XML Schema Structures Rec that says anything
about the order of the element particles in the choice based on the
substitution group.

It seems to me that it's hard to put together a definition of the
precise order, given that the elements might come from anywhere within
included, including and importing schemas - there isn't an 'obvious'
order like 'in the order they're declared in the schema'. Perhaps the
order doesn't matter in the same way as it does for explicit choices.

Hopefully Henry or Noah or Priscilla or someone else will give a
definitive answer :)

Cheers,

Jeni

---