RE: Expressing varying cardinalities of unordered elements in a complex-type

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:04:12 -0500
To: "Mason Lee" <mgl@netspace.org>
Cc: eddie@allette.com.au, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Mason Lee asks:

>> Out of curiousity, does anyone have any
>> links to discussions as to why
>> this sort of constraint wasn't included
>> in the W3C XML Schema?

My note of Nov. 9 covers some of the history regarding "all".  Though I
was specifically responding to a question about deriving extensions, the
reasons for limiting maxOccurs to 1 are:  an 80/20 cut attempting to keep
it simple and to meet a basic need for mapping to unordered fields.  Hope
this helps.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2001Nov/0109.html

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142