Re: XML transformation

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:13:10 -0500
To: "Gary Robertson" <gazinyork@hotmail.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Gary Robertson asks:

>> Does it mean that it (XSL) is Turing incomplete like XML schema language?

I've heard claims that XSLT is actually Turing complete, but for certain
things it may not be much easier than a Turing machine to program.  If,
for example, you require elaborate conversions between date formats, or
more sophisticated computation, XSLT might or might not be a convenient
language in which to do your job.  If all you're trying to do is shuffle
the contents of various fields and attributes, it should be very
appropriate.  It can also do lots of other things well, but certain things
you might conceivably need are inconvenient/near-impossible (I wouldn't
try to do any Fourier transforms!).

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142