["Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>] [Moderator Action] XLINK semantics expressed in XML Schema - code?

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:16:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Subject: [Moderator Action] XLINK semantics expressed in XML Schema - code?
  • To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
  • Cc: <connolly@w3.org>
Can XML Schemas solve this one? We need code to show it can.

Given that
1. there was an expectation by SMIL and HTML groups that
  the XLINK technology would allow them to use their HREF and SRC attributes
  with XLINK blessing, and that
2. the passage of XLINK to CR was accompanied by the understanding/hope
  that this could be accomplished by metainformation in the schemas for
  SMIL and HTML, and that
3. the note
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2000/09/NOTE-xlink-naming.html
  seems to give a way of doing this by providing simple types, but that
4. to really allow SRC= and HREF= to be used without extra attributes is is
infcat necessary to make some subtypes for each (or 20) combination of
implicit SHOW and ACTIVATION value.

There is going to be, I think, a new version of the note with those
subtypes.

What we need - as all these specs are in implementation review phase
(Candidate Rec) - is *code* to take
 - a SMIL, SVG, or xHTML document
 - the assciated schema with annotations referring to XLINK

and produce from these document decorated with some form of annotation
showing where there are links -- or maybe just a documenyt with the SRC and
HREF attributes replcaes with appropriate XLINK ones.

It is clearly important that  this will be driven from the schema - not hard
coded in!

Without this code, it is difficult to say that the problem has been
realistically solved.

Any takers?

Tim