  • From: Cohen, Aaron M <aaron.m.cohen@intel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:59:01 -0800
  • Subject: RE: Namespace prefixes for attributes
  • To: "'J.R. van Ossenbruggen'" <Jacco.van.Ossenbruggen@cwi.nl>, elharo@metalab.unc.edu, www-smil@w3.org, "'symm@w3.org'" <symm@w3.org>
Just a note. What Jacco says is correct for SMIL 2.0 and the two forms
listed below _are_ equivalent in SMIL 2.0 because we define it to be that
way. The XML Schema for smil will define both local and global version of
the attributes that have general applicability (like begin) and so there is
a 'begin" that exists in the smil20 namespace, which is semantically and
syntactically identical to the "no namespace" version of begin defined on
the element.

Oddball question, what if both forms are allowed on an element? AFAIK, this
is legal syntax for the SMIL 2.0 language schema:
<smil xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/SMIL20/Language">
<smil:video begin="10s" smil20:begin="20s" .../>

</smil>

And, BTW, so is this:
<smil xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/SMIL20/Language"
	xmlns:basic="http://www.w3.org/2000/SMIL20/BasicInlineTiming">
<smil:video begin="10s" smil20:begin="20s" basic:begin="30s".../>

</smil>

We don't have semantics defined for these syntactic atrocities.

-Aaron