Question about final elements and element derivation.

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 15:01:55 +0100
To: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
I must be missing something obvious here :( but xsd:element accepts [1]
a final attribute:

> final = (#all | List of (extension | restriction))

while I don't see how one can derive an element other than through a
substitution group.

So, my question is:

How can we derive an element by extension or restriction (since
xsd:extension and xsd:restriction aren't allowed directly below
xsd:element) ?

Thanks

Eric (confused).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmlschema-1-20001024/#element-element