Re: DTD error in XSV?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 04 Nov 2000 11:11:15 +0000
To: Liz Castro <lcastro@cookwood.com>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Liz Castro <lcastro@cookwood.com> writes:

> Aargh. I don't know why those stupid attachments happen. Sorry! Here's one
> last try:
>
> I just started using the new version of XSV, and I get a strange error I
> never used to get with the old version:
>
> Couldn't open file /usr/local/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW/cgi-bin/XMLSchema.dtd: No
> such file or directory
> /usr/local/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW/cgi-bin/XMLSchema.dtd: No such file or directory
> Error: Couldn't open dtd entity
> file:///usr/local/Jigsaw/Jigsaw/WWW/cgi-bin/XMLSchema.dtd
>  in entity "<string>" defined in <unknown>
> Warning: Root element name xsd:schema not declared
>  (detected at end of prolog of document
> http://www.cookwood.com/ns/end_species/end_species.xsd)
> Warning: Start tag for undeclared element xsd:schema
>  in unnamed entity at line 2 char 12 of
> http://www.cookwood.com/ns/end_species/end_species.xsd

Sorry, serious bug, now fixed, you should get some useful error
messages now.

> Why does XSV care if I use a DTD or not? And why is it looking for this
> XMLSchema.dtd file?
>
> I don't want to deal with DTDs here, I just want to know if my instance is
> schema valid.

XSV uses the DTD for schema documents as a first-pass check on your
schema, to avoid doing all that work in ad-hoc code in the validator,
but this is an implementation choice.  Your instance can't be
validated unless the schema you provide is a real schema, after all.