Re: [Moderator Action] [Moderator Action] <attribute ref="thisNamespace:foo"/> not worki ng?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 01 Nov 2000 08:27:36 +0000
To: chuck.han@autodesk.com
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
chuck.han@autodesk.com writes:

<snip/>

> It seems to me that if the global element <root> is valid
> (qualified--as ht noted--without a prefix since it implies the
> default namespace), then by the same token, the global attribute
> "foo" should also be valid (qualified--this is where ht
> disagrees--again, without a prefix since it implies the default
> namespace).

The default NS declaration does not apply to unprefixed attributes [1],
only to unprefixed elements:

  "A default namespace is considered to apply to the element where it
  is declared (if that element has no namespace prefix), and to all
  elements with no prefix within the content of that element. If the
  URI reference in a default namespace declaration is empty, then
  unprefixed elements in the scope of the declaration are not
  considered to be in any namespace. _Note that default namespaces do_
  _not apply directly to attributes_. [emphasis added]"

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#defaulting