RE: using redefine

From: David Valera <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:57:43 +0100
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
> > Lets say address is:
> >
> >  <complexType name="Address">
> >   <sequence>
> >    <element name="name"   type="string"/>
> >    <element name="street" type="string"/>
> >    <element name="city"   type="string"/>
> >   </sequence>
> >  </complexType>
> >
> > I would like to have the possibility of redefining Address
> so that it only
> > has two elements, 'name' and 'street'. element 'city' is no
> longer needed.
> > Is this possible using redefine or do I have to stick to
> the possibilities
> > of extension and restriction?
>
> You must stick to extension and restriction.  So with the Address
> above you're stuck, but if it had been

hmm, I did not have time to read the spec lately, and I was expecting some
added value to redefinition. I am wondering, can everything that can be done
with redefinition, also be accomplished using includes and extensions or
restrictions on types?

I thought redefinition would give the developer the possibility of
redefining a type, without limitations. De XML schema processor would then
only look at the redefinition and discard the type that is being redefined.
I guess this is not the case, is it?

David Valera