Possible defect in XOP and MTOM

From: Alessandro Triglia <sandro@oss.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:20:52 -0400
To: <xmlp-comments@w3.org>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Hi

I am reading www.w3.org/TR/xop10/ and it seems to me that something is missing in the following clause:

-----------------------------------
3.1 Creating XOP Packages

To create a XOP Package from an Original XML Infoset:

[...]

Identify within the Original XML Infoset the element information items to be optimized. To be optimized, the characters comprising the [children] of the element information item MUST be in the canonical form of xs:base64Binary (see [XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second Edition]3.2.16 base64Binary) and MUST NOT contain any whitespace characters, preceding, inline with or following the non-whitespace content.

[...]

I would assume that the first condition to be imposed is that the [children] of the element information item be all character information items.  For example, comment IIs and processing instruction IIs present among the [children] -- in any position -- should prevent the "optimization", as do the character IIs that are whitespace.

(That an element II present among the [children] should also prevent the optimization is even more obvious.)

Perhaps this condition is kind-of implied by the use of the term "comprising" (instead of "among", say), but I think the condition should be stated more explicitly.

A similar problem exists in MTOM (clause 2.3.1).

Regards,

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva, Inc.