Re: XMLP Issue 450 resolution

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:20:46 +0100
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Cc: xmlp-comments@w3.org

Hello xml-dist-app,

> With regards to Content-Transfer-Encoding, we believe that the criteria
> for its use are already well-established by the MIME RFCs, and do not
> need amplification by our specification.

We agree that this feature is already well specified, and merely
thought that it should be clarified that this feature should be used
here.

> With regards to Content-Length, we point out that MIME already has
> well-specified mechanisms for delimiting message parts, and although
> length delimitation is attractive, it is not within the scope of the
> Working Group to invent a new MIME packaging mechanism (use of
> Content-Length in SIP, as in HTTP, is specific to that protocol).

We agree that length delimitation is attractive - indeed, essential,
if the object is to embed arbitrary binary data.

The alternative of a random separator string is computationally
unattractive if the software verifies that it is indeed unique, and
relying on statistical likelihood without verification was described
by some as "a fragile hack".

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group