XML Protocol LC issue 470 resolution

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:07:36 -0700
Cc: xmlp-comments@w3.org
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>

Graham,

The XML Protocol Working Group has resolved issue 470 [1], regarding
XOP's use of media types.

Regarding section 1.2: this was indeed a typo, and we will have it
corrected in the next draft.

Regarding section 5: we did consider such a solution, but it had the
drawback that the original media type
would not be visible at the outer level using Multipart MIME.

In other words, the multipart/related media type only allows a
parameter to identify the media type of the root part; any parameters
of the root part's media type must be discovered by examining the root
part itself.

Given this, we decided that the current design of XOP regarding media
types, while not optimal, was the best we could do within the
limitations of the MIME system.

I hope this satisfies your concern.

Regards,

1. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues#x470