[tracking] application/soap+xml "action" parameter

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:03:09 +0200 (MEST)
To: xmlp-comments@w3.org
(from
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=8198&rfc_flag=0
)
<<<<<<<<<
The presence and content of the SOAPAction header field can be used by
servers such as firewalls to >appropriately filter SOAP request messages
in HTTP. The header field value of empty string ("") means >that the
intent of the SOAP message is provided by the HTTP Request-URI. No value
means that there >is no indication of the intent of the message.

I assume that it is *not* intended that this parameter ever have an empty
string as a valid value.  Given the parallel made in the text, though, I
believe it would be valuable to make explicit that this is or is not
permitted.  I also note that the filtering text almost certainly does not
belong in this registration. (as it conflicts with the statement in the
security considerations)

The working group decided to close the issue with the following
resolution [1]:

In Part2, section 6.5.3
replace
<
The SOAP Action feature defines a single property, which is described in
Table 14. >
by

The SOAP Action feature defines a single property, which is described in
Table 14. The value of this property MUST be an absolute URI [rfc2396] and
MUST NOT be empty.
<

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Jun/0035.html

--