Comments on: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xop10-20040608/

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:45:46 +0100
To: xmlp-comments@w3.org

With reference to:

On a quick read-through, I have a couple of comments:

Section 1.2:
text/xml for root multipart/related element

The choice of a text/... MIME type for this purpose seems rather, er,
perverse to me.  The intent of text/... MIME types is for data content that
can reasonably be read as such by a human user [1].  text/html is regarded
by at least one of MIME's designers as a mistake [2].  I really don't think
that an XML SOAP envelope falls into the category of human-readable
text.  I suggest:
(a) use application/xml, or
(b) register a new application/...+xml MIME type for this purpose.

I see in section 5 you describe application/soap_xop+xml, so I guess that's
just a typo in the examples?

Section 5:

Looking at:
For example, if the format identified by "application/soap+xml" is to be
packaged as XOP serializations, then a XOP-specific media type (e.g.,
"application/soap_xop+xml") MUST be registered. A XOP Package using the
Multipart/Related packaging mechanism and serializing such an Infoset would
have a package media type of "multipart/related" and a root media type of

This seems a bit awkward to me.  Has any consideration been given to
defining a single MIME content-type, say application/xop+xml, having a
parameter to specify the original MIME type; hence:

Among other things, I think this would make it easier to implement a
completely generic XOP serializer/deserializer since no special knowledge
of any specific MIME type (other than application/xop+xml) would be required.

B.1 References:

The reference to RFC 2557 mis-spells one of the authors' name (J Palme).

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt, section 3

[2] http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/mail-archive/msg00622.html

Graham Klyne
For email: