XMLP Issue 450 resolution

From: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:51:22 -0800
Cc: xmlp-comments@w3.org
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

Chris,

The XML Protocol Working Group has agreed to close issue 450[1]
regarding Content-Transfer-Encoding and Content-Type, which you raised,
with no action.

With regards to Content-Transfer-Encoding, we believe that the criteria
for its use are already well-established by the MIME RFCs, and do not
need amplification by our specification.

With regards to Content-Length, we point out that MIME already has
well-specified mechanisms for delimiting message parts, and although
length delimitation is attractive, it is not within the scope of the
Working Group to invent a new MIME packaging mechanism (use of
Content-Length in SIP, as in HTTP, is specific to that protocol).

If you have any questions, please direct them to xml-dist-app@w3.org
and/or xmlp-comments@w3.org.

Regards,

1. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues#x450