Fw: Content-free Header and Body elements

posting this to xmlp-comment to maintain a complete issue record, see the
rest of this thread also

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169
Int  Ph: 544.9665
fallside@us.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by David Fallside/Santa Teresa/IBM on 05/20/2003 08:10 AM
-----
|         |           "Martin Gudgin"  |
|         |           <mgudgin@microsof|
|         |           t.com>           |
|         |           xml-dist-app-requ|
|         |           est@w3.org       |
|         |           05/16/2003 12:26 |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       "Rich Salz" <rsalz@datapower.com>                                                                           |
  |       cc:       Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>                                               |
  |       Subject:  RE: Content-free Header and Body elements                                                                   |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The intent was that the Infoset properties be preserved unmodified
except for the exclusions listed. That said, one COULD interpret Rule #1
as saying that if you have a message:

<soap:Envelope>
  <soap:Body>
  . . .
  </soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

then intermediaries CANNOT add any headers ( because no rule in[1]
allows insertion of <soap:Header> ). This is definitely undesirable.

I hesitate to say this, but I think this probably needs to be raised as
a PR issue.

Gudge

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#soapinterminfoset