Re: SOAP 1.2 Test Suite feedback

Thanks for the comments.
Reply inlined

-Anish
--

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> Microsoft has these initial comments against the test suite revision
> found at [1]. More comments may follow at a later time.
>
> Feedback on specific tests
> --------------------------
>
> * Test:T1.2.25
>
> The description says that the NodeC should return one MustUnderstand
> Fault. But the message doesn't have a Fault in it.

This is an error. This will be fixed.

> * Test:T1.3.1
>
> The Response message (from Node C) has an additional namespace for
> soap-faults (xmlns:f="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-faults"), which is
> not required nor is used.

Problems of cutting and pasting. This will be fixed.

> * Test:T1.3.2
>
> The Description say that Node C returns a DTDNotSupported Exception.
> This is incorrect as the latest spec has no mention of such exception
> but rather a note [4] explaining that "a binding that accepts XML 1.0
> serializations MUST fault in a binding specific manner if an XML 1.0
> serialization corresponding to a DTD for the SOAP message is received.".

This is test for a previous version of the spec. This will be fixed.

> * Test:T1.4.1
>
> The Description talks about an element with attribute
> enc:arrayType="xs:int[3]". ArrayType doesn't exist in Soap 1.2 spec.

I changed the test but forgot to change the description. This will be
fixed.

> * Test:T1.4.2
>
> Is the assertion in the description correct ?

Hmm. This test got added as a result of resolution of issue 194, which
says that:
"The encoding style attribute MUST NOT appear in ANY element defined in
the envelope namespace"

But I do not see this text in the latest spec.
Is this an issue against the spec?

> * Test:Mark84
>
> Description says NodeC returns a VersionMisMatch fault. However, SOAP
> 1.1 implementations over HTTP are likely to fail on the missing
> SOAPAction HTTP header field before even starting on the SOAP
> processing. In this case, a SOAP fault may not be returned.

I would like to remove this test. This document is a test collection for
SOAP 1.2 and should not have tests for SOAP 1.1.

> * Test:Mark138
>
> what assertion does this test ?

This test, tests assertion 112, I will add the correct link in assertion
112.

> * Test:Mark142
>
> This test shows the generation of a rpc:ProcedureNotPresent fault
> subcode but this is not required anymore (it is a MAY). Hence this
> response is not guaranteed. An equally valid response would not have
> this subcode.

That is quite true. The test collection does a lot of things that are
not required (RPC, soap encoding are optional), but aid interop
implementations. It seems to me that this test would aid interop
implementations.

> * Test:LRT102
>
> The request is missing a Closing Header Element tag.

This will be fixed.

> * Test:LRT103 & Test:LRT102
>
> These 2 tests appear to be identical. They have the same description.

One of them will be removed.

> * Test:LRT104
>
> The request/response message doesn't match the Description.

The test will be changed to match the description.

> * Test:notation-test & Test:entity-test
>
> We don't specify DTDNotSupported anymore.

The fault Value will be changed.

> * Test:standalone-test
>
> The request message has standalone='yes', this corresponds to XML 1.0
> [2], but SOAP 1.2 specifies "true" [3]. This has been reported to the
> SOAP 1.2 spec editors as a bug.

'yes' will be changed to 'true'.

> * Test:trailer-test & Test:no-body-test & Test:non-nsqualified-attr-test
>
> The request message uses "Head" element instead of "Header" element.

This will be fixed.

> * Test:encodingStyle-on-env-test
>
> It is not clear what assertion is being tested by this test.

This test got added as a result of resolution of issue 194, which says
that:
"The encoding style attribute MUST NOT appear in ANY element defined in
the envelope namespace"

But I do not see this text in the latest spec.
Is this an issue against the spec?

> Proposal for some additions to the test suite
>
> * May want to add a test for Nested Structs.

I think that this is a good idea. I believe SOAP builders round 2 (base)
has a echoStruct test. This can be ported to SOAP 1.2

> * When unsupported Content-Type is sent, the response should be that of
> Http Error 415.

Good idea. Will be added.

> * When the request for an array doesn't explicitly mention an ItemType
> attribute in it, the server should be able to handle the response.

A test for this scenario will be added.