SOAP 1.2 LC Issue: Use of "" in encodingStyle Attribute

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:28:35 -0700
To: <xmlp-comments@w3.org>

In section [1] defining the encodingStyle attribute, we have the same
problem using an empty URI as we had in issue [2]:

"The scope of the encodingStyle attribute information item is that of
its owner element information item and that element information item's
descendants, unless a descendant itself carries such an attribute
information item. If no encodingStyle attribute information item is in
scope for a particular element information item or the value of such an
attribute information item is the zero-length URI ("") then no claims
are made regarding the encoding style of that element information item
and its descendants."

When we made the transition to use XMLBase throughout, "" became a valid
relative URI and hence we can't use that to indicate that there is no
encoding. Instead I suggest that we introduce an explicit URI that
carries the same semantics but doesn't have this problem. An example of
such a URI is

	http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope/encoding/none

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:henrikn@microsoft.com