Re: XMLP: Issue 229 Closed

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:58:15 -0400
To: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Cc: xmlp-comments@w3.org

Hi Marc.

* Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com> [2002-07-18 16:53+0100]
> Issue 229[1], which you raised, was discussed by the XMLP WG and
> the resolution suggested in [2] was adopted. Please let us know if
> this is not satisfactory.
[..]
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues.html#x229
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Jul/0109.html

Your proposed wording does lift the ambiguity.

One comment though: you went from "A SOAP node MAY choose to ignore
[..] non-mandatory SOAP header blocks targeted at it" to "A SOAP node
MAY also choose to process non-mandatory SOAP header blocks targeted
at it".

I think that the expectations of people is to have headers processed,
even though they may be ignored if they are not marked as mandatory.
This is related I think to the discussion about issue 232[3].

The use of "choose" sounds to me like the SOAP node may act as it
pleases it. With a default env:mustUnderstand being true, this is
fine, but if the Working Group replies negatively to issue 232, then I
will be more comfortable if "also choose to" was removed.

So I think that we can indeed consider issue 229 closed, and I will
keep my other comments for the resolution of issue 232.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hugo

  3. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues.html#x232