Issue: RPC and Encoding fault combinations

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:00:01 +0200 (CEST)
To: XMLP Comments <xmlp-comments@w3.org>
cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

 Hi all, 8-)
 (please remove xmlp comments from the receiver list when
replying)

 In SOAP Encoding [1] it says that a SOAP receiver

>>SHOULD generate an "env:Sender" SOAP fault with a subcode
of enc:MissingID if the message violates the constraints on id
and ref attribute information items (see 3.1.5.3 Constraints on
id and ref attribute information items).<<

 In SOAP RPC [2] it says that

>>A fault with a Value of "env:Sender" for Code and a Value of
"rpc:BadArguments" for Subcode MUST be generated when the
receiver cannot parse the arguments or when there is a mismatch
between what the receiver expects and what the sender has sent.<<

 It is unclear what should happen when both these conditions are
met - RPC server cannot parse arguments because of a missing ID.
Technically, the RPC fault is a MUST and the Encoding fault is a
SHOULD, so the former takes precedence, but is this the
intention?

 I'd like a clarification on the relationship of these faults.

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation
                   http://www.systinet.com/

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#encfaults