Re: Conflict between empty role value and SOAP 1.2's use of xml:base

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:35:35 -0400
To: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, xmlp-comments@w3.org, xmlp-comments-request@w3.org, "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>

+1.  I'm not an XML Base expert, but that sounds like a reasonable
accomodation.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Sent by: xmlp-comments-request@w3.org
07/02/2002 11:13 AM

        To:     <xmlp-comments@w3.org>
        cc:     "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>, "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>,
(bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
        Subject:        Conflict between empty role value and SOAP 1.2's use of xml:base

From [1] it says:

"Omitting the SOAP role attribute information item is equivalent to
supplying that attribute with a value of
"http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope/role/ultimateReceiver". An
empty value for this attribute is equivalent to omitting the attribute
completely, i.e. targeting the SOAP header block at an ultimate SOAP
receiver."

However, "" is a value relative URI and so this statement conflicts with
our use of xml:base [2] and our use of relative URIs:

"URIs used as values in information items identified by the
"http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope" and
"http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-encoding" XML namespaces can be either
relative or absolute."

Proposed resolution: Remove the last sentence in the above paragraph so
that it reads:

"Omitting the SOAP role attribute information item is equivalent to
supplying that attribute with a value of
"http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope/role/ultimateReceiver"."

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:henrikn@microsoft.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-soap12-part1-20020626/#soaprole