Resolution of Content Based Routing issue

From: David Fallside <fallside@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:14:24 -0800
To: texin@progress.com
Cc: xmlp-comments@w3.org
The XML Protocol Working Group has resolved to close its issue #98 [1] with
the text quoted below. You are the originator of this issue, and so we are
informing you of our decision. If you think this resolution does not
address the issue, please let me know.

Routing is not within the scope of SOAP 1.2, but can
specified using the extension mechanisms provided by SOAP 1.2.  If
normalization is required for content-based routing extensions to work
properly, then the specifications for content-based routing extensions must

ensure normalization.  This appears to be feasible by defining a SOAP
header block (with mustUnderstand="true") whose semantics would imply that
the SOAP envelope (and its descendants) be normalized before applying a
content-based routing function.  In addition, a related extension feature
could use a SOAP header block to indicate explicitly that a SOAP envelope
has not yet been normalized; such a header block can be removed after the
envelope has been normalized.  To reiterate, extensions for routing and
normalization are not within the scope of the SOAP 1.2 specifications.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html#x98

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169
Int  Ph: 544.9665