RE: issue 227

Mark,

To the best of my knowledge and throughout my involvement in the TBTF and
the WG it has always been clear (at least to me) that the binding
framework/SOAP extensibility model along with the concepts of features,
properties, property containers (message exchange context) modules and
bindings are descriptive tools to enable the structuring and re-use of
components parts of a specification. At no time (to my recollection) has it
ever been the intention that the structure of the description (partitioned
into features specs, binding specs, and module specs) be prescriptive on the
structure of an implementation. The thing that it does make sense to be
precriptive about is the externally observable behaviour of implementations
that claim conform to the specifications - ie. they claim to exhibit the
behaviour that the specifications require.

The position you appear to be taking is that the WGs resolution of 227 does
indeed place requirements on the structure of an implementation. I may have
miss read that - in which case I'm sure you will correct me. But if that is
your position, then I believe that it is on the other side of a line that
the TBTF and the WG took some care not to cross.

To summarise:

The binding framework (features, properties, message exchange contexts) in
particular is about structuring the behavioural description embodied in a
binding specification. It is *not* about constraining the structure of an
implementation. It may be convenient as a means to meet the behavioural
requirements of a binding specification to structure an implementation along
the lines of the framework based specification... but it is not (IMO) a
requirement to do so.

So suggest otherwise... is what I characterised as attempting "...to cease
more ground...." in an earlier response... and would be a *big* change in
the WG's philosophy with respect to the framework.

Best regards

Stuart