Re: issue 227

(leaving xmlp-comments CCd, but perhaps we need to take this to
xml-dist-app - Stuart?)

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:08:41PM -0400, Mark A. Jones wrote:
> >>* We will leave 'web method' as a mandatory feature of the http
> binding.
> >>

> > The status quo is mandatory provision... which is fine. Mandatory
> use... I
> > have seen no justification for such a constraint.
>

> <maj>'Mandatory' here means provision.  'use' is discretionary.</maj>

I think there's a disconnect in terminology here.

At the f2f, the proposal was;

] [scribenrm] DF: Proposal...(1) we accept that bindings can specify
] that features are mandatory (2) we sweep the spec to ensure that's
] clear (3) leave web method as a mandatory feature of the http
] binding...i.e. that applications must supply a value for the
] property...and to make sure the spec is clear on that point.

 -- http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/2/08/f2f-minutes-day1.html

"that applications must supply a value for the property" maps, I believe,
to Stuart's notion of "use".

Does that make sense?  As can be seen in the minutes, I was very clear
to verify that this was the case;

] <MarkB> does "must supply a value" imply a default?
[...]
] [MarkB] ah, ok, *application* must supply ... that's ok

Are we all in synch?

MB