Re: SOAP LC Issue 232 -- changing mU default

FWIW, Noah and I discovered an issue related to mU at the f2f.
It has to do with the fact that you might often want to have
headers targeted at 'next' and not marked mustUnderstand="true"
in order to implement some new feature that some, but not
all intermediaries might be revved to look for.  The problem is
that the intermediaries that aren't yet revved will silently
remove the header and not re-insert it according to the current
spec.  It doesn't seem right that intermediaries which don't
understand a header (and aren't required to) would take the
initiative to remove it.  It means that new capabilities have
to be universally deployed or specifically aware of and
independently targetted at all relevant intermediaries.

This arose in the context of thinking about intermediaries
that might want to observe faults on a return path.  The first
problem is that the fault mechanism puts the fault in the body
where it is cannot be targetted at those intermediaries.
The second problem is that even if you added a header for
such faults, you would probably make it mustUnderstand="false"
and target it at 'next'.  But then you have the above issue.

It is rather frustrating that this slipped by for so long,
and it is not clear whether to attempt to fix it now.

Mark Jones
AT&T