LC issue 221

From: iwasa <kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:34:25 +0900
To: <xmlp-comments@w3.org>
Cc: <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
The following LC issue #221 [1] was discussed in the F2F meeting on 7/30.
LC issue #221:
  (Section 5 SOAP Message Construct)
   3rd paragraph: We are not clear about whether intermediaries MUST,
SHOULD,
   MAY, SHOULD NOT or MUST NOT forward PIs - only that a message SHOULD NOT
   contain them.

The WG has agreed to close this issue #221 with the following resolution:
   SOAP sender MUST NOT send a message containing Processing Instructions
   Information Items(PIIIs). SOAP receivers (including intermediaries)
   receiving a message with a PIII SHOULD generate an error. Whenever
possible,
   receivers should detect PIIIs and fault. The above rule says SHOULD (as
opposed
   to MUST) only to allow for implementations in which performance
considerations
   outweigh the desirability of detecting erroneous messages."

We trust that this resolution satisfies your concern. If not, please
contact the WG asap.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues#x221

Regards,
Iwasa