Re: XML Protocol: Proposals to address SOAPAction header

From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:49:48 -0700
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "'christopher ferris'" <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>, "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>, "Simon Fell" <soap@zaks.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, <xmlp-comments@w3.org>
I think I can resolve both of these problems.

1. When not going through HTTP there is no SOAPAction header. Therefore you
can't use it if you're not going over HTTP, and can use it if you are.

2. If an intermediary doesn't pass the SOAPAction header when going through
HTTP, it will break the application at the end (or in the middle) who
depends on the SOAPAction header.

There you go. These are not reasons to say goodbye to SOAPAction. They're
just things to be aware of if you're building an application that goes over
transports other than HTTP or uses an intermediary that is not
SOAPAction-friendly. (BTW, I'm not sure there are any intermediaries at this
time, so this could be added as a caveat for future intermediaries -- please
pass on the SOAPAction header.)

Have a great day one and all!!

Dave