RE: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

At 12:41 07/09/00 -0700, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> > I don't think it helps people to write reliable portable code if
> >
> > <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
> >    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
> >    xmlns:dc="http://purl.org:80/dc/elements/1.0/"
> >  >
> >     <xsl:template match="dc:Creator">
> >        :
> >     </xsl:template>
> > </xsl:stylesheet>
> >
> > may or may not have the desired effect depending on the
> > particular XSLT
> > implementation in use.
>
>Which is why it is the responsibility of the party generating the document
>to use consistent and simplified names which most apps tend to do anyway.
>This is what I suggest in point e) in [1].

Note that in this example there are three independent parties involved:

- the creator of the example namespace (Dublin Core)
- the author of the XML document which uses DC elements
- the author of the stylesheet which processes DC elements

Am I correct to interpret your advice as meaning

    | The creator of a namespace should publish a preferred textual
    | form for the URI which is used to name it.  For maximum
    | reliability, it is wise to use that preferred textual form when
    | referring to the namespace.

in this context?

It's certainly possible to work with such a definition, but I don't see why
you'd want to -- why not simply specify that the "preferred form" _must_ be
used.

To use an analogy, have you ever had to port a large application from an
operating system with a case insensitive linker to one where the linker is
case sensitive?  At least you get link errors to help you fix your
application.  In the XSLT case you just get wrong output.
--
Cheers,
John