Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:38:23 -0400
To: John Aldridge <john.aldridge@informatix.co.uk>
CC: "xml-uri@w3.org" <xml-uri@w3.org>
John Aldridge wrote:

> but when Michael Mealling said:
>
> >URI: a unique string that is bound in a 1:1 relationship with a Resource
>
> the "1:1" makes it clear that _his_ opinion falls in the "official" camp.

Unnnnnnfortunately, the term "1:1" is itself ambiguous.  Some people take it
to mean that there is only one element of the range for one element of the
domain, *and vice versa*, as you and I do.  But others use "1:1" to mean
that this is true only in a single direction, and use the phrase "one-one
and onto" to signify bi-uniqueness.

So Michael may or may not mean what you think he means.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com