Re: Moving on (was Re: URIs quack like a duck)

At 10:02 PM 5/29/00 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>Almost.  The problem I see is that if we follow (1), which at this point I
more
>or less agree with, then there's a nasty inconsistency between the namespace
>spec and the definition of expanded names in the XPath spec.  The working
group
>you speak of would have to look at, and propose revisions to, all specs that
>are impacted by the string-literal interpretation of namespace names, not
just
>the namespace spec itself.  XPath is an instance but  not the only one.
XBase
>is another.

I'd leave XPath as is, claiming that it's a layer built _on top of_
Namespaces in XML and can therefore do as it pleases.  The W3C might also
want to reopen XPath if this seems grossly inconsistent, but that's them.

XBase has the advantage of still being in development, with an active
Working Group, so let them figure out how this works...

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com