Re: Namespace-by-retrieval is consistent and coherent

Clark C. Evans wrote:
> I *really* like the idea of the dereference yielding
> a packaging document!

Which is what I suggested a few days ago :-) so I like it too.

People complaining about the cost of dereferencing -- you already
have to dereference system identifiers for DTDs if you validate.
If you don't validate, and don't process namespaces, you don't need
to follow the URL.

Probably the fix to the namespace spec is to say it's actually an
XML system identifer -- parsers already handle those -- and to
encourage the use of a cache for all XML system identifiers.

The xml external (document) entity referred to by the system identifier
is a packaging document tht includes tha name of the namespace being
referred to, and can point to other documents such as schemata and
style sheets.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam@holoweb.net - http://www.holoweb.net/