Re: Namespace names: a modification of a semi-serious proposal

Clark C. Evans wrote:
> However, is this practical in our context?  I mean, is
> there any other serious reason for retrival other than
> for getting a schema or human description or catalog of
> resources for the namespace?  In each of these examples
> none of the theoritical problems occur...

I was trying to ask if there is a practical example
where namespace-by-retrival would violate the two
concerns John Cowan raised:

  a) two retrivals from different URLs
     being equivalent by co-insidence

  b) two retrivals from the same URI
     differing due to a function of time.

Given a "http:\\my-schema-location" or
some other informational text, I cannot
think of a case where either would occur:

  a) Two different schemas would definately
     have a different text; and would therefore
     be different.

  b) If two retrivals are byte-for-byte different;
     then someone changed the schema.  In this
     case, the schema is different!

Also, given rigourous use of expiration dates
(necessary for digital signatures and other
contracts) I don't see a case where caching
could not be used to provide a consistent
snapshot of the schema for a given process.
One would use the most recent retrival with
an expiration date before the start of the
process.

Clark