Re: URI versus URI Reference

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 11:48:52PM -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:
> When we update RFC 2396, I suggest we add an introductory paragraph
> explaining that the term "URI" is used ambiguiously in the community
> to mean "a URI reference" (corresponding to the URI-reference BNF entity)
> or "an absolute URI", and that for this reason, the term "URI" itself
> is not defined in the document.
>
> I'd probably fix the Abstract correspondingly, e.g.,
> "Informally, a Uniform Resource Identifier is a compact string...."
>
> so that people don't think that the abstract is normative.

I could also go along with this idea. The previously suggested
ABNF fix is also fine since it doesn't change anything technical...

Whichever is easier to get concensus on...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com