Re: Inclusions and other gotchas (was:Re: inclusion)

Trying to dredge up my memory of the original namespace work...  If I
recall correctly:

At 03:06 PM 5/25/00 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>I think all of the problems with namespace names stems from their use of URI's
>(whatever those are <s>) for a purpose other than the one they were
>intended to
>serve, namely, identifying resources.

We discussed using FPIs and the like, but were told that the only
acceptable choice was to use URIs because they identify resources, and a
namespace is a resource.  We put the "unique and persistent" wording in
there to try and counteract the fact that many URIs don't have these
properties.

>1. Create a new scheme explicitly for the purpose of providing unique
>namespace
>identifiers.   Or maybe an existing one will work -- I don't know.   But
>deprecate the use of URL for that purpose, be they relative or
>absolute.   That
>would not break the namespace spec and would avoid the misleading connotation
>that URL have.

We were told that it's a no-no to use restrict the list of valid URI
schemes; it was all or nothing.  So inventing a new one might be a good
idea, but apparently we still wouldn't be allowed to say "You must use
{fpi:|data:|whatever...}".

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com