Re: URI versus URI Reference

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 07:19:41PM -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> One would, but one would be wrong. I think the term came around from
> some thought such as "a reference using a URI" or something...
> I was not very involved in the haggles about terms. It is difficult to
> be close to English usage at the end of a lot of specification
> discussions.

Being tangentially involved in that discussion, the term came
from the fact that, at the time, the only place that used
those additional semantics of relative URIs and fragments was found
in hypertext references inside documents (i.e. places where a base
was defined and there were identified document fragments).

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com