RE: A little courtesy, please (resource questions)

This reference states "[base URI] The absolute URI of the document entity,
as computed by the method of RFC 2396 [RFC2396], if that is known."  This
indicates to me that there may not be a base URI property, or that it's
value may be null.  My understanding is that without a base URI
absolutization cannot occur, and absolutized namespace names cannot be
determined.

> Anyway... as specified in the infoset draft, if you copy
> the characters of an XML document from one place to another
> in the web, the result is a different XML document.

Fine, nobody's not contesting that.  But absolutization implies that copying
an XML document from one place to another also may result in a document that
is no longer namespace-compliant XML, or that is a different document type
and so processors (e.g. stylesheets) for that document type fail.