Re: Web Architecture, 'XML Autonomy'

At 12:38 PM 5/24/00 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
>
>> I keep requesting that semantics be treated as a layer on top of syntax,
>> while you and Dan seem to be insisting that URI semantics be driven as
>> deeply into the syntax layer as possible.
>
>Well, yes and no.  It is difficult to make a semantic distinction between
>strings that the lower layer insists on treating as identical (i.e.
xmlns="foo"
>in two different documents).

Why is that so difficult?

Isn't it the job of the higher layer to make semantic distinctions?

It should be clear to the higher layer that these are in fact namespace
URIs, and not just random strings.  I expect the higher layer will have
access to the information the lower layer has as far as document location,
and likely more, if and when XBase comes into use, if that in fact affects
namespace URIs.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth