Re: Swamped (Was:Re: Call the question!)

At 06:46 PM 5/22/00 -0400, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>I really think that having "namespace" related behavior
>littered through other specifcations (like XPath) is
>a recipie for confusion, possibly even inconsistency,
>or worse, loss of production...

Careful here, or 'behavior' may be interpreted pretty wildly, and take us
into terra incognita.

All I'm proposing is that namespace URIs be compared as strings for the
purpose of sending information from XML parsers to the application, and
that it's up to applications (including XPath tools and other similar
layers) to decide how they present and process that information.

The creators of such layers should make clear to users how they intend to
treat that information.  Nothing spectacular there.  XML parsers aren't
expected to understand the information they process, just make sure that it
conforms to a basic set of rules.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth