Re: Use cases

David Carlisle wrote:

> Namespaces are defined to be URI references, with an explicit
> character-for-character equality test.

Actually, it is namespace *names* that are defined to be URI references.
But this does not affect your argument.

> rfc 2396 does _not_ assert that the relative URI references.
> ./foo and foo are equal.  In fact they are not equal as URI references
> note the plural, reference_s_.
>
> What rfc 2396 establishes is the mechanism to get from a URI reference
> (and a base URI) to the absolute URI.
> This mechanism _does_ involve removing the ./ but to say that two URI
> references that (given a base URI) always refer to the same URI
> is just like saying two pointers that point to the same thing are
> always the same pointer which normally speaking is false.

I think this argument is a very strong one.  Namespace names are defined
to be URI references, not URIs, not resources.

Namespaces may be resources or not; the Namespec doesn't say.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>