Re: status quo

At 10:39 AM 2000-05-21 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>Treat XPath as a layer on top of XML 1.0 and Namespaces in XML, and this is
>just application-specific behavior (in XPath) that expands on the
>possibilities in XML and Namespaces.

This is promising.

The term "application-specific" may be misunderstood, as XPath is clearly
core XML technology for XML 2.0.  One might want to simply say "layered" or
something else.  For any plan of resolution, however, it is important to
recognize that [/ ascertain if] nothing in the technology platform created
by "XML 1.0 + Namespaces" prevents a layered document [in this case XPath]
from asserting such semantics.

There would appear to be a problem reconciling the approaches in XPath and
XSLT as we look to form XML Core for XML 2.0.  That is where the problem
lies, in process space, IMHO.

Al