Re: the case of two bats

John Cowan wrote:

> Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > But does that motivate a special exception to make namespace
> > identifier syntax different from identifiers for all
> > other Web resources?
>
> No.  What people say is calling for an exception is the fact that
> we already blessed a different interpretation, and cannot afford
> (morally) to orphan documents (and piss off document authors)
> that depend on it.

Hang on... I haven't see any documents that would suffer from
a revision of the namespace spec to say "expand the xmlns
attribute value to absolute form before comparing it with
other namespace names" ... I have only seen implementations
that don't do it.

A document such as
	<aDoc xmlns:a="./foo" xmlns:b="././foo">
	  <a:bat>baseball bat</a:bat>
	  <b:bat>flying bat</b:bat>
	</aDoc>
would suffer a change in interpretation under the "expand the xmlns..."
change, but I haven't seen any evidence that such documents
are in use.

I understand the motivation for an exception based on
interoperability with present implementations, but I don't
see any motivation based on existing documents.