RE: Defaule base URI for files

It does seem to me that the primary hurdle now
is defining a 'reasonable' "default" base URI
for relative references.. or simply forbidding
relative references until <xml:base> comes along.

This suggestion below sounds interesting; any
down sides?

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> But suppose we define the default base URI of
> any XML document as the namespace of the root
> element, and the default base URI of an element
> as its namespace. In this case composition of
> relative URIs works just fine and depends only
> on the contents, not the location of, a document.

I suppose then it would be forbidden for the
root element to have a relative reference then?

Clark