RE: Are *relative* URIs as namespace nemes considered harmful?

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2000, Clark Evans wrote:
> > I tried out relative namespaces on XT -- James
> > Clark's software does not seem to be doing this
> > absolutization;

In the XT code, on line 254 of XMLProcessorImpl.java;
(the SAX event handler) James Clark's code reads:
   "//FIXME resolve relative URI"

> Playing the devil's advocate...: So maybe it's XPath that
> needs to and should be fixed, not the namespace rec?

It seems clear that the sentance about relative URI
absolutization in the XPath spec was definately
intended... however, James Clark's "reference
implementation" does not provide a suggested
implementaion.

How do I go about 'absolutizing' these URIs?

If I use different access methods to identify
the text should I get different results? For instance
"xt http:\\myserver\path\source.xml trans.xslt"
should give me a different answer than..
"xt subdir/source.xml trans.xslt"  ?

Clark

P.S. This is besides the point that the XSLT processor
is expected to further "absolutize" the URI *after*
SAX events from a namespace aware parser...