Re: Irony heaped on irony

Stefan Haustein wrote:

> > Dan Connolly:
> > > David Megginson:
> > > Please remove the schema from http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace and
> > > put it somewhere else, then update the schema for schemas to follow
> > > this (better) practice.  This also has the advantage that users can
> > > refer to the specific version of the xml: schema that they want to use.
> >
> > Hmm... issuing an address for each specific version of the schema
> > spec that we put on the web server is a reasonable idea, but
> > removing the schema from http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace
> > removes the ability to use namespaces in schemas in the most
> > straightforward way.
>
> In my opinion, the best solution would be to remove the confusing
> http:// from the namespace name.

That would be a good suggestion if we didn't intend to make
definitive material about our schema available on demand.
But we do, and http is a the most straightforward way
for us (and lots of other folks, I expect) to do that.

> However, at least you should
> append /xml-schema when translating a namespace name into an
> XML Schema URL. Otherwise, an XML Schema can collide with e.g.
> an RDF schema describing the same language.

If I were concerned with such collisions, I'd just
use schemaLocation to do the pointing, rather than
appending /xml-schema. But I'm not concerned with
such collisions; I expect either

	(1) publishing an XML Schema and an RDF schema
	for the same namespace will be so rarely useful
	that it needn't be supported by the technology;
	only one of them is available using just
	the namespace identifier, and to find the
	other one, you need another pointer (e.g. schemaLocation)

or

	(2) support for using namespace identifiers as MIME type
	parameters in http Accept: headers will mature... something like:

		Accept: text/xml;namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"

or

	(3) a separate MIME type for RDF (say... model/rdf)
	will be registered, allowing us to make RDF and XML Schema
	available using just the namespace identifer,
	just like we make PNG and GIF for images.

[more on the rest of your message separately...]