Re: namespace usage as assertions

keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> [W]e have to
> define namespaces as matching if and only if we're sure their URIs match --
> that is, if the two names are precisely string-equal.

But!

You are blurring the question for which this list was defined: do two namespaces
match if their *URI*s are string-equal, or is it if the *URI references* through
which they were specified are string-equal?  That is "absolutize" vs. "literal".

> The best way I know to simplify these points for pedagogical purposes --
> and to simplify and speed up the implementations of this logic -- is to say
> "The URI is just compared literally". This continues to bias me heavily
> away from the Absolutize behavior.

Au contraire, it *is* the Absolutize behavior; you are kicking the ball into
your own goalposts.  The Literal behavior is that the URI references are
compared literally.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>