Re: Collect Proposed wordings (Was: Can everyone be happy?)

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> At 07:27 PM 6/22/00 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> >Ah!!! But you didn't replace the really troublesome paragraph, which is the
> >definition of a namespace name and the strange words it contains about
> >something being "not a goal".   I think the text you've just suggested has to
> >be considered in conjunction with the replacement for the definition of a
> >namespace name.  (I scribbled a replacement for that text a while back.)
>
> You're definitely right; I should have kept a local copy of Namespaces in
> XML on my laptop - I wrote that from a quick copy/paste off the Web - not
> too quick, since I've had 14.4 connections on this trip.  Maybe we can
> unite my replacement with your replacement?

OK, here's the text that does that:

 In Namespaces in XML, replace:

[Definition:] URI references which identify namespaces are considered
identical when they are exactly the same character-for-character. Note that
URI references which are not identical in this sense may in fact be
functionally equivalent. Examples include URI references which differ only
in case, or which are in external entities which have different effective
base URIs.

[Definition:] URI references which identify namespaces are considered
identical when they are exactly the same character-for-character. Note that
URI references which are not identical in this sense may in fact be
functionally equivalent and vice-versa. Examples include URI references
which differ only in case, or which are in external entities which have
different effective base URIs. Applications which process documents
containing namespaces identified by relative URI references may use their
own knowledge of context to absolutize those references, but such
processing must not be performed by parsers comparing namespace values to
determine attribute name uniqueness.

and replace:

[Definition] The attribute's value, a URI reference, is the namespace name
identifying the namespace.  The namespace name, to serve its intended purpose,
should have the characteristics of uniqueness and persistence.  It is not a goal
that it be directly usable for retrieval of a schema (if any exists).  An example
of a syntax that is designed with these goals in mind is that for Uniform
Resource Names [RFC2141].  However, it should be noted that ordinary URLs can be
managed in such a way as to achieve these same goals.

[Definition] The attribute's value is the namespace name identifying the
namespace.   It must have the form of a URI reference,
although for the purposes of this specification the
namespace name is treated as an uninterpreted character
string.   To serve its intended purpose, that URI reference should be chosen
so as to be unique and persistent.  An example of a syntax meeting that
requirement
is that of Uniform Resource Names [RFC2141].  However, it should be noted that
ordinary URLs can be managed in such a way as to achieve these same goals.

Other specifications and applications may choose
to attach their own interpretations to the namespace name
and to place additional requirements on its form or
interpretation.  (URI references are used in this context
because they allow such additional interpretations.)

Paul Abrahams