Re: Minimum required of a system called "Namespaces in XML"

At 09:11 AM 6/12/00 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 12:39:20AM -0400, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
>> >Any revision of the namespace spec should make it absolutely clear what is
>> expected of >a namespace name in terms of what it identifies or might
>> identify and why URI references >are used for this purpose.
>>
>> Half-agree: Any revision should make clear the rationalle of why URI
>> references (or, in the Forbid case, URI+)  was chosen. But the answer to
>> "what does it identify" is, as far as the Namespace spec itself is
>> concerned, "a point in URI space". Whether anything can be retrieved by
>> accessing that point it out of scope for this spec.
>
>I'd prefer something different than "out of scope" because I've
>seen people on this list take "not a goal of this spec" to mean "forbidden".
>Just because something is out of scope doesn't mean its forbidden.
>Someone else can come along latter and define what that means and
>actually use it...

Fine - how about 'out of scope for this layer of processing'.
'Applications may use this information as they find appropriate.'
Definitely not forbidden, but not forced into Namespaces in XML - and I
think pretty close to what the Microsoft proposal was offering.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com