Literal Approach + Locality Warning (Was: A proposed solution

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> Not at all - it merely states that you can't use relative URIs without
> taking the context within which they are defined into account. Note that
> this doesn't mean that you necessarily have to explicitly absolutize.

The proposed solution is then to treat the namespace names
literally; but put a big sign in the namespace rec?

  /------------------------------------------------\
  |   Relative URI references are allowed, but     |
  |   they are compared literally.                 |
  |   Therefore, be careful only to use such XML   |
  |   texts within a limited context where the     |
  |   relative URI references are unique.          |
  \------------------------------------------------/

This seems to be the most conservative approach...

I'd be happy if the "fixup" also put in a (non-normative)
statement about only using "locator" URIs such as "http"
or "file" when there is an entity body to be retrieved
and the entity body to be retrieved is well described by
the owner of the namespace. Then recommend (non-normative)
a reverse-DNS mechanism for namespaces which do not have
a related entity body to retrieve:

  "urn:ns:2000,net.schema.johndoe.myns"

;) Clark